/*banner of the blog inserted here*/
Sorrento

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Stereotype

Fridae has been kind to offer a free week of Perks. So its like, chatting online has taken a new meaning now that my postcode is 3011. Apparently, the suburb I live in makes me who I am, not the other way around.

Also cultural stereotypes. The perception is that we Asian people are restricted to clichéd hobbies - shopping, drinking alcohol, wearing eyeliner and Gucci, gambling, clubbing, shoes. Behaviours that include accepting without question, distinguishable accents, lack of speech, insecurity, awkward hand gestures.

These people are obsessed with being 'straight-acting' whatever that means. They've internalised the 'fragile Asian boy' model for self-empowerment - masculinity, it seems, is dictated by the 'manly' things you do, and an Asian boy can never be 'manly'.

They can't accept me because I enjoy servicing motorbikes, working in the garden, playing sports, fixing taps, or Bunnings on the weekend.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya know, the way I stumbled across your blog was through a search on axcest via google.

When I typed in Axcest, your blog popped up to be the second cloest result.

Out of curiosity, I browsed through your blog and found tremendous pleasure in reading your stories.

Keep it up, for I've bookmarked your blog site!

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home