/*banner of the blog inserted here*/
Sorrento

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Gimme More

Fuck that song is stuck in my head. Talk about being conventional.

Last day of exams so it’s a relief to finally settle down and relax. I've recently failed to keep up with housework so this floor needs dusting soon.

Went to dinner with the rest of 'my kind'. Malaysians. Again I feel isolated from the group because everyone's talking about $3.50 pasta specials at Sofia's. Unlike them I can't relate to eating out of a tin or living in a shoebox. Actively chatting about the things that we hold dear to our heart, FOOD, I realise how much I've differentiated myself from these other people.

My priorities are a Genovese latte and a fresh quiche from Cafe Darling, and theirs is Green Tea Frappucino with extra creme and a pre-made apple muffin from Starbucks. I've certainly come a long way from being a typical KL City Boy. These ‘kids’ also remind me how far away I am from being a student; In one day I spend more on food than they do in a week. I eat out regularly, go to exclusive restaurants and buy expensive ingredients for cooking. They buy HomeBrand and never go out.

I’m a class whore.

They continue to talk about bargaining and keeping prices low. Best places to eat under $5. Best time of the year to buy shirts from Myer. Best place to get DVDs for cheap. Best places to buy Asian ingredients. How to save $20 on weekly bills. I can start to see how the angmoh feels whenever I rant to him about saving and reducing cost.

The fact that they know nothing outside city borders startles me. They are ‘bored’ of Melbourne, with good reason, considering that the ‘Melbourne’ they choose to see and live in is a hole.

The angmoh reckons we Malaysians are obsessed planners (he includes me in the definition). True, I suppose, just that these people are poor planners. Bad food. Bad venue. Bad place to be eating on a rainy day. Think "tourist trap". And yet everyone agrees because it's a free meal. Someone's paying. Malaysians will show up, disregarding all inhibitions and objections in the name of free food.

Everyone's actively talking about exams. About their degree. About the latest Wii game. About this amazing place they know of, where food is cheap because they give half-price for lunch leftovers. I'm busy talking about the Xchange, eating with the angmoh’s parents and BackBar's amazing cocktails. Such is life.

Everybody is flying back soon. Funny how people are obsessed with overseas education yet flee home as soon as semester is over. These kids come here for education alone. Culture immersion? Meeting the locals? Traveling the continent? Bah.

Jangan harap.

Speaking of which, the angmoh better get his passport soon or we'll never take off from this place. Seats are running out fast and he's not listening to my nagging.

Maybe I'm an obsessed obsessed planner.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Corgant said...

Different perspective with distinct growing up environment, maybe you choose to enjoy life as it is today and live for tomorrow, that's is a life we all want.

You cant really compare yourself with them, you know you are indifferent from the lot.

In terms of thinking and priorities of course :)

6:10 AM  
Blogger savante said...

Typical. There always are Malaysians who go abroad and settle down in their own little kampungs without bothering to venture further afield.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Diablo said...

hehehe, i recently visited KL and visited the petronas. darn, KL is far better than Singapura, I swear.

anyhow, i had similar experiences about being a classwhore, but when u begin to feel that working for your own money is getting harder, you'll get to adjust... trust me. hehe.

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home