/*banner of the blog inserted here*/
Sorrento

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Language

There’s legislation in place to protect those who look ‘different’ from the colourless, or who do not share the same basic cultural upbringing, religion and/or belief. But where do we draw the line between cultural sensitivity and insult?

Take my lecturer for instance. It took him two months before he worked out that English was my first language and that he didn't need to pronounce his words like a 5-year-old when talking to me. The poor old man, bless him, but it brings me to the point about stereotypes and issues with language and culture.

Where I come from, people don't pretend to speak a language. They just do. There's no monoculture when it comes to communication; I myself can speak three languages fluently (and two dialects not so fluently but it gets me my cup of coffee and newspaper in the morning). Very rarely is a person monolingual; even rarer is a language learnt for reasons other than for daily use (yes my dear chingkophiles, learning a new language so you can go for a 6 month exchange to China does not count you as being multilingual). Every extra language you speak is an extra opportunity to build networks in the business community and meet new people.

Don’t forget about the added advantages of being able to order better food than the average English speaking tourist (hell yes, food is important!). Kuey teow daging kering tambah mata kerbau tak mahu sayur tak mau si-ham pedas sikit tambah belacan kalau ada dan teh-O ais limau kurang manis dengan sikit ais. Fried noodles, and a drink, you say?

Many assume that I am inept and passive (until I launch into jargon-spewing speeches with the heaviest Okka accent I can administer). Just because I have narrow eyes it doesn't mean that I don't have a mouth to speak.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home