/*banner of the blog inserted here*/
Sorrento

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Birthday Girl

Three ml of Issey to drench my skin. Two squirts of Biotherm to moisturise my face. Finger nails carefully clippered, hairline carefully trimmed. Expensive fabric to drape over my body, expensive pants to cover up my legs. Polished leather shoes to match, and an apple-flavoured chewing gum for my mouth.

Carefully chosen presents in a tiny bag that cost me a day's salary. Walking towards the tram stop, I casually unbutton my newly bought Boss. The weather's cold. People will notice I'm not doing this because it's hot, but because I want to feel hot.

Yeah well. I try sometimes.

30 minutes at Melbourne Central waiting for someone who doesn't turn up. Walking down towards Lt Bourke St I feel slightly dismayed at the outcome, and yet at the same time slightly nonchalant.

I'm greeted by 9 people sitting around the table, ready to go chomp chomp on the delicious Chinese food in front of them. Three quarters not comfortable with using chopsticks, so wrestling with the food was accompanied with the isolated and sporadic conversations about everything from slip discs to Thai-made shirts.

The Birthday Girl is happy to see me. We've not met in months. Giving her a nice hug, I realise how much this means to me, to be able to catch up on where we last left off and to think about what the future might be... I realise how much I've neglected my "straight" friends in being selfish and picky about my acquaintances.

I realise how much I've missed out, and how much my friends really care for me.

I must have been blind to have come this far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home