/*banner of the blog inserted here*/
Sorrento

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Denial

My refrigerator has been empty for the past week and I have not bothered to stock it up due to procrastination and pure laziness. Also, the last thing I want to do after a long day at work is to go to the supermarket and carry home a truck full of stuff I’ll probably chuck out after I forget about them and their expiry dates lapse.

I have become very kiasu ever since I started using the Aussie currency. Every cent saved adds up to a dollar earned, and I make sure I buy the cheapest everything even if it means spending 1 hour at the pasta aisle comparing the prices of Penne and Fettuccini against Macaroni and Tortellini. Soy milk on special today; $1.79 per 1L carton. Smoked salmon at $5.58 per 200g. Beef risottos at $3.50 per 750g. Mars bars on special, 99c per bar, down from $1.79.

Asians everywhere in the bloody supermarket, jingling their ugly handbags and waving their funky hairstyle in your faces. This place must be where one of the largest congregations of International students can be found, after Bourke St. and Melbourne Uni Tram Stop. People from all four corners of Asia in sight, though a few Arabs and Whiteys can be seen browsing through the shelves amidst their olive skinned pointed eyed Asian counterparts.

Girlfriends holding the hands of their boyfriends. Boyfriends holding the hips of their girlfriends. It amazes me how these people stick together. Beautiful girls running after scandalous punk looking boys, and handsome men running after whore look-alikes. Who am I to judge.

Standing alone at the cashier I sense a prolonged feeling of bachelorhood. The last time I shopped together with a partner was in Liang Court, and even then it was for after-10pm sushi at $1.50 a box. With a half full basket in one hand and the 99c Mars bar in the other, I ooze jealousy at these yuppies standing in front of me. I fall in the ranks of single unemployed and uneducated men, albeit grudgingly.

The girl at the cashier seems to have pity on me as I lay my groceries on the conveyer belt. Her smiles give me comfort for 5 seconds, at the most. I couldn’t even be bothered to take the receipt. I just leave after swiping EFTPOS and keying my PIN.

Mars bars taste better when you don’t have another person to share it with. Having the whole bar to myself I instinctively evade tram fares on the way home, chewing slowly at the nutty bits and indulging in the million-calorie treat.

I’m in denial.

Yeah well. So what.

10 Comments:

Blogger Patrick said...

*smiles*~hope to give you more comfort. You should really proud of your preseverance.Take care.

2:43 AM  
Blogger ikanbilis said...

yumy..chocolate indulgence!

3:46 AM  
Blogger executorlouis said...

Aww. *comforts*

1:11 PM  
Blogger savante said...

Awww... take care, man. I know it's tough living over there but you'll start liking it :) Spent my weekends running over to the fairs to buy meat pies to last me the week.

Paul

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you...

Wishing you wonderful birthday.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Kihu said...

ur birthday? huh..

3:21 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

Happy Birthday then. :)

4:00 PM  
Blogger hcpen said...

denial is a mechanism that allows us to cope with things we cannot handle for the time being, it doesn't have to be bad:)

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well living alone as single is not bad at all. For my case i think single is the best compare to thus ppl who r attach. Well as single we can go out anytime and anywhere we want without asking permission from another half. Well i still prefer living as single thats why maybe till now i still can't find my another half. Well i dont think this is self consult or anything. I just prefer to be single all the time. Maybe one day will chance when i find my truly lover.

1:45 AM  
Blogger onegayboy said...

Yeah, yesterday was my birthday ;)

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home