/*banner of the blog inserted here*/
Sorrento

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Semester

Lectures running simultaneously. People streaming in and out of lecture theatres. Books and manuals being shoved into bags, the never ending sound of chatter and laughter...

Its that time of the year again when everybody goes back to uni for the next round of executions. I'm not prepared!

Today I decided I was going to eat something different for lunch. I've been feasting on frozen food and dry bread for the past semester and so I thought it was time to reward myself with a bit of sushi.

The sushi bar in my university is always full. I reckon the owners are millionaires; one roll costs around $2.20 and they can sell more than a thousand rolls a day. Just look at the queue outside the shop and you'd understand. The place needs no publicity; it sells itself!

Of course, you have to take into account the insatiable Aussie appetite for Japanese cuisine albeit a very mediocre reproduction of Maki sushi. Oh, and the wasabe is bland too.

But anyway, I decided to go for a salmon roll and a prawn roll. Setting me back at $5, I thought it was reasonable and healthy too. I've been bingeing on chocolate and fried finger food lately, so a bit of seaweed and rice would do me good.

Just as I as biting into the rolls and having a hell of a good time shooting wasabe up my nose, I somehow started to think about The-ex.

Probably because the most memorable meal I had with him was in a Japanese restaurant in Singapore, having sushi together with his mother.

It's not one of those pleasant moments where one remembers all the lovey-dovey stuff that one did with his partner. It's not one of those enlightenment moments where you feel warm inside and you feel like you want to give every person you see a nice big bear hug.

Somehow I was reminded of the times when we argued. When we bitched about each other, when I cheated behind his back. When we spent hundreds of dollars on phone calls to gain an opportunity to scream at each other over the most ridiculous of things, from who will die first to who will be richer in 30 years.

We never really did have any good times towards the end of our relationship, and being confined 350km away across different countries did its damage. We weren't capable of sticking together in a relationship where the physical presence of the other half is fictional.

And then I bit onto the prawn tail and cut my tongue. Ouch.

I sort of wonder how he's doing now, where he's headed to, how his studies and love life is progressing. Wonder whether he's still the cute guy I fell in love with or he's changed completely, whether he still practices Reiki or goes to temples to seek help from fortune tellers, whether he still finds guys who wear glasses sexy.

I've never really appreciated him enough to miss him, but I've known him long enough to remember him.

Loved the cool winds towards the end of the day. It felt liberating to sit on the south lawns gazing up at the setting sun, with nothing but comfort at my side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home