/*banner of the blog inserted here*/
Sorrento

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Of A Journey

Nobody said that student life should be boring.

I took up this challenge because I felt that it was within my capabilities as a person to engage in political debates as well as enjoy the comfort of a residential college. Not to mention the free food and free flights.

I am being sent to Perth to attend a conference and my entire trip will be sponsored. The only extra expenses that I will incur would be additional transport costs and one night's accomodation as I will be staying overnight after the conference ends to tour the city and to meet up with some of my friends.

When first presented with the idea three months back I thought that I wasn't going to enjoy it. There was no thrill, no passion, no desire to go into the program and get myself involved, and the whole notion of a city that dies after 5pm just didn't do it for a bitch like me.

Furthermore, it is a very isolated city, the conference will be very hectic and the people will have many political agendas (which give rise to a whole lot of bickering during policy submission and ammendments)

Not long after I was faced with several rejections for a relationship, mostly due to my incompetence. I know that I have been campaigning for the "right-to-remain-single" all this while but I guess that the "Mr-Bachelor" title is starting to get to me and I have thoughts about settling down. To love and to be loved, to have someone to care for me and someone to care for, to give myself an opportunity to experience monogamy and a whole set of restrictions which come along with the "I-have-a-boyfriend" package.

I took this decision to go away not because I'd like to "run away" per se, but because I feel that I need some time to be able to process these feelings within me and give myself a chance to heal inside. Man, rejections are never easy especially if someone tells you everything you didn't think they'd find out about.

I told myself that this would also be the opportunity for me to get away from the hustle and bustle of Melbourne, and it would also enable me to reexamine myself as an individual. I want to experience something other than MaxBrenner and The Peel. I want to meet new people, see new places and breathe new air. The dirty cold congested city of Melbourne just doesn't look so appealing to a broken hearted single gay boy.

I've never been to Perth, and have certainly never thought about living there, but then again, I've never thought about eating snails or wearing pantyhose either.

Yesterday was one of the longest days yet in Melbourne, as I packed up all my little goodies to bring over. I compromised between the conservative and the "screaming" pieces of clothing and I somehow decided to pick the latter. Goodbye Giordano and PDI, hello Armani and Prada.

I began to think I was overdoing it when I started to pack a pink boxer and a fluorescent yellow tie...

I will be leaving in several hours, and the excitement has started to build up. I'd never thought I'd say this, but I can't wait to get to Perth.

To be able to run away for a while, and sip coffee along the Swan River with some stranger whom I've been wanting to meet...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home