/*banner of the blog inserted here*/
Sorrento

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Bed

Whoever invented the bed was a very smart human being.

Yesterday I had the rare privilege of having a double bed all to myself. I slept over at a friend's place and since his housemate was away I could use his bed for the night. I must admit, I've grown quite fond of his bed, though I know I was probably pampering myself too much on the pillows and rolling under the soft quilt that he had.

But that bed was gorgeous. I've never slept like a pig in months.

When I was a child, the first bed I ever received (apart from my baby cot) was a single bed. Mom had purchased it from the local furniture shop and it was pretty basic. Made out of solid wood and void of any intricate designs or patterns, it didn't look luxurious. Whilst other school kids my age had ridiculously expensive beds, mine was simple and straightforward. Four legs. A beam as a head rest. Wooden boards to support the mattress.

My mom never saw the need for extravagance anyway.

Those days large shopping complexes were not very popular in KL. There were very few department stores where you could buy everything under one roof. There was no Carrefour, no 1-Utama, no Mid Valley. Jusco was still in its old premises in Taman Tun and that was the closest thing you could get to a shopping mall. You could still find small shops around town that were family run businesses, and had excellent quality items for very low prices. None of the goods were made in China, and the salesperson knew you by your first name. And this was only 15 years ago.

It was in such a shop that my mom bought me my first set of bed sheets from one such shop. It was blue and had little bunnies on it, carrying baskets laden with food for a picnic. It had some words on it as well, though I don't remember them. I also had several other recycled bed sheets from goodness-knows-where that smelt of mothballs and had ugly geometric patterns on them, but the blue bunny bed sheet was my favourite.

Even as a kid I never had my own room. Mom and dad could never afford a house with enough space to house me and my brother in separate rooms of our own. We had to share the room and it didn't really bother me much; as a kid you can live your whole life publicly and not have to worry about privacy.

But as I grew up and started shifting houses between relatives and between states, I always found myself sharing a room with my brother. Even through high school I had to sleep on the same double bed as him. There were no hard feelings about it, no complaining. No arguments. There was just no other choice. We had to make do with what little we had those days, even if it meant having to share the same small space in which we could rest our heads at night.

It soon became a privacy issue as I started to meet other guys and had "duties" to perform in the morning. I remember back then, using various ways to obtain privacy. I don't know if my brother ever saw me doing my thing with my right and left hands, because I certainly never saw him doing it. It was out of the question, letting him know about my preferences and thoughts. I must have done a good job though; he only ever found out I was gay when I was 18.

Until today I still share a room, but I plan to get my own by next year. I really need the privacy, especially when every now and then I browse the net for a certain "type" of picture and watch a certain "type" of movie.

I've never had a huge issue with a single bed although I do admit it can be challenging to have sex on one. Back when I was a child it didn't make sense for me to have so much space. I'd still sleep on one side even though I was on a King bed. The extra space was just dead space, and extra pillows just a nuisance. But now I dread having any physical relations with a person who doesn't have anything less than a double bed. I've found myself in very awkward positions, dangling from the edges of a bed, straining my calf muscles to get a good grip, hurting my hips to keep myself balanced.

Extra space is definitely extra comfort.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kihu said...

well.. sex on single bed is challenging after all.. but not good for after sex rest ahahah!

4:00 AM  
Blogger Jushie said...

Haha...yeah. I agree with famezgay. It can be challenging and interesting. I can just imagine the different sort of positions that can be used on a single bed.

4:09 PM  
Blogger onegayboy said...

Single beds kinda force two people to cuddle very closely... there's not much room to move around I guess.

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home