/*banner of the blog inserted here*/
Sorrento

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Indemnity

People always ask me why I have so many white hairs on my head. Is it because I'm getting old? Or is it because I think too much, or genetic inheritance, or... what?

For sure I know one of the reasons would be because I live around such difficult people in my family.

The scheduled Signing of Agreement was for tomorrow, 17th at 10.00am. We had already agreed on the date and time, and I had already filled up the form for leave application.

And this morning she (that surety who is giving me such a headache) told me to postpone it to this Friday. Yes, she said that she was busy, although I highly doubt it. Lazy perhaps. She is always at home at the early hours of the morning when everyone else is at work. She is usually sleeping on the couch or in her room, or talking on the phone, or watching the telly, when normal people are all behind their desks. She’s someone high up there in the corporate ladder, see, so she can dictate her timetable whenever and however she chooses.

Yet she cannot make it for tomorrow. I wonder if she is purely busy or just finding an excuse to delay it further. Now she wants the meeting to be held at 2.30pm on 18 November, which is this Friday. Save the fact that I have to reschedule my leave, inform the scholarship officers, inform my father (who happens to be my second guarantor)… I wonder if she cares about all these

But how can I say no to her? If I do, she might probably say, too bad then I’m not signing. And as you all know, that is just like saying bye-bye-scholarship.

By delaying this signing of agreement, the financial guarantee letter will also be delayed. Which means, in other words, my acceptance to the university will also be delayed. If there are no more spaces left in the university, the scholarship is as good as a sheet of blank paper.

So why does she have to delay it further? Gosh, I am jumping up and down but what can I do… she doesn’t understand the URGENCY of this? She even told me to mail to the university and seek for extension of the dateline, without realising that the dateline is subject to the availability of places at the university!

Furthermore she told me that she is coming up with an indemnity letter, asked me to give it to my father and get it signed by him in front of a Commissioner-of-Oaths. A person like me with such poor grammar wouldn’t know what an indemnity letter is, but I know what a Commissioner-of-Oaths is so it had to be something serious. I typed it into an online thesaurus, the word “indemnity”, and the following appeared.

insurance
protection
cover
life insurance
security
guarantee
compensation
remuneration


Words that are, well, not very nice to hear when it comes to the topic of MONEY. Does she want to assure herself that I will not break the bond and if I do she will not be liable to pay back the full amount of the scholarship??? Why does she need my father to sign it? What is contained within that letter, of all documents????

Perhaps she doesn’t trust me, but then again I’ve learnt through this whole experience that money makes you more enemies than friends. Nobody would trust you enough to take up a responsibility that involves money. Nobody wants to be in the hotseat when it comes to repaying someone’s debts. Nobody wants to be liable for prosecution just because you didn’t fulfill a bond and they are forced to repay the bond for you. Nobody will trust you, not even your closest of closest friends, when the topic is about money.

Likewise, she probably doesn’t trust me at all. Hence this “indemnity” letter.

Why does she have to make things so difficult?

Today I learnt a new word, and no it isn’t the word “indemnity”.

I learnt the word, “trust”.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home