/*banner of the blog inserted here*/
Sorrento

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Banana

I met up with a very very very gorgeous person. Actually we were chatting on IRC and slowly we exchanged profiles and MSN contacts

Before we knew it, we had agreed on a meet-up. Imagine that... in less than 2 hours we had already agreed to see each other.

He looked a little chubby in his picture but I didn't really mind. I was hungry and he was willing to take me out for supper. We initially planned on going to Murni to have Roti Hawaii and mango special

He arrived there much earlier and found Murni closed. Probably because of Deepavali... or something. I on the other hand was very late. In fact, I arrived more than 20 minutes after he arrived, although I stayed so near to Murni. I felt apologetic but luckily he didn't really seem to mind.

I must say I was really shocked to see him. He looked much slimmer in real life and he was just... gorgeous. Very meaty, boyish look, with a very nice smell (I discovered this only near the end of our meeting)

We decided instead to go to Coffee Bean.

From the moment we met, he talked to me in Cantonese. Of course, as you all know, my Cantonese is atrocious. But he didn't speak much English and I was forced to use whatever atrocious Cantonese I had, much to his amusement.

The air conditioning was blowing directly at us while we had our Frappucinos, and he was wearing a singlet so he was feeling cold. I tried to hug him to keep him warm but other people started looking at us so I let go... pity…

We talked about the usual things (yes, I spoke in atrocious Cantonese) but didn't go far because of the language barrier. In the end we finished our drinks and went into his car.

We sat there for almost an hour, trying to think about what to say to each other.

People say language is not a barrier, but I say that is not true. In fact, I think it is the MOST important factor in any relationship because when language is in the way, communication is affected.

I am a banana. I admit that. I am trying my best to learn how to speak Cantonese/ Mandarin but I am not really doing that well. Struggling. Most people on Axcest are Chinese educated and hence I find a lot of trouble communicating with them.

Just like him. He was just so lovable, so huggable, and so innocent looking... I wanted to reach out to him and try to get to know him better but I just... felt bad that I couldn't say much to him in the end.

Needless to say, we also parted in silence.

Why can't I speak good Chinese! He said that it is better to know English than Chinese, but I disagreed. I said that both are equally important.

Can someone wave a magic wand and cast a spell on me so that I can speak Chinese fluently?

I hope to meet up with him again. This time, I'll try my best not to speak too much jargon, although I know that this will be highly unlikely.

Ah the irony.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Easy, then u mah meet someone who is Chinse Ed, but can speak English lo :p

2:15 PM  
Blogger onegayboy said...

Actually I find that those kind of people are hard to find, especially on Axcest.

Most Chi Ed seem to speak fluent mandarin but hardly speak english at all.

1:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah..yeah... thats hard... i have this friend.. she's korean... i really want her to be my friend.. i want to get to know her more.. but, language gets in the way.. hinders us from expressing one's thought and feelings.. she doesnt speak much english.. and i dont speak much korean... ah... i just wish that in a snap ill be fluent in korean..haha.. but now, i still dont know what language to take.. korean,jpanese or chinese...

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home