/*banner of the blog inserted here*/
Sorrento

Friday, October 14, 2005

Down Under

Yesterday I received a call from a scholarship officer, informing me that my appeal for an overseas scholarship has been successful and requesting for further documentation so that she can process the contract letters.

I was just speechless.

I had applied for it around May this year, and after going through two interviews I was informed that I didn't get the scholarship.

Many people didn't believe that I didn't get the scholarship, but I was not too surprised...

Of course, to me it was just another one down in a string of failed attempts at getting a scholarship.

But then I had submitted a formal appeal letter to the director, with the hope that he would reconsider my scholarship.

And just yesterday, almost five months after applying for the scholarship, I was called and told that I was heading off to Australia.

The initial feelings were mixed I guess. Wanting to go and yet not wanting to leave my friends behind... because I've got to know so many new friends lately and to only be in Malaysia until February is quite a sad thing. I would probably be in Australia for 3-4years, depending on whether I do the Honours year or not, and after which I will have to return to Malaysia to serve a bond.

This is what I've wanted all this while... a chance to go overseas. And now that I have that chance, I don't know how to react to it.

It's going to be a whole different lifestyle over there. New people, new places, new environment and new cultures... everything will be different. Of course there will be many other Malaysians in the place where I'm going (Melbourne, a.k.a second Malaysia), but it will not be the same as here.

I won't even get to see the stars in the northern hemisphere anymore!

Haha

Anyway, the whole process is very long, from submitting my documents to receiving the plane ticket and the final green light to board the plane to Melbourne... I've got to deal with Visas, acceptance of offer, accommodation, healthcare, insurance... preparing myself physically as well as mentally for this new phase of my life.

And yes, I've got to say goodbye to so many of my friends. Of course I'd be contacting them on MSN or email, but it won't ever be the same, will it?

My greatest concern now is whether I can find enough of good PLU friends in Australia... I've heard many stories about them being more "liberal" there but I don't know anything more than that. All I hope is that I can find a close group of PLU friends whom I can fall back on should I encounter any trouble along the way.

For now, I'm searching for a second guarantor, who has to be below 45 years of age, not related to me, and have a monthly income of more than RM3000. If I am unable to find a second guarantor (my father has agreed to be my first guarantor), then I won't even get to take up this scholarship. But who will want to be a guarantor? Especially if that person is not related to you?

God I hope I find one fast. I can't wait to go.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pike-chan said...

yay~~~ finally you got a scholarship, hurray to you! go for it mate and explore the whole new world of the Down Under.

4:09 PM  
Blogger onegayboy said...

haha thanks.

Actually now I need to find a guarantor before I can go.

Must not be blood related
Must be below 45 years old
Must have a monthly income of RM3000 or more

It's so difficult to find. Without the guarantor I can't go. Sigh.

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home