/*banner of the blog inserted here*/
Sorrento

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Moving on

I have sent my letter of resignation to my Cafe manager, and I will officially be allowed to leave my post effective two weeks from the 4th of September, the date I submitted the letter.

Until then, I remain jobless.

However, there are many jobs out there waiting for me. Becoming a promoter is the widest and most versatile option, as well as with large vacancies. Already a friend has informed me that G2000 is desperately looking for promoters. Just a few days ago, CK Jeans, CK and Guess put up notices inviting applications for the position of Boutique Assistants. So there are many vacancies out there.

The reason why I chose not to work in my current job is largely due to the pay I am receiving. I can easily work as a promoter and earn RM1000 without doing half as much work as I am doing now. It may sound as if I am a lazy person but consider this; I am doing this job to fill my time and to earn extra cash. Of course, it would be preferable to earn as much cash as possible, given that I am only employed for such short periods. And I shouldn't damage my health as I still have many years ahead in a university. Why should I torture myself earning the equivalent of a labourer? Shouldn't I choose a better paying job?

By the way, my paycheck just came in. I earned RM380 for 24 days of work.

I work 8-10 hours a day, and 6 days a week

From the moment I step in until the moment I punch out, I am walking. So you can imagine how tired I am at the end of each day. I get so few opportunities to stand still as everything is located at opposite ends. Further more, I have to do bussing, which is carry food and drinks to the customers and carry soiled tableware to the steward.

I feel I have learnt a lot from being a waiter. I have learnt so much about coffee, from its origins to the different methods of preparation, to brewing and making beverages. I have learnt a lot about people as a whole; meeting all sorts of high ranking people and dealing with very difficult customers (such as people who order ice lemon tea without the ice without the lemon or chicken and mushroom pie without the chicken or the mushroom)

I have learnt a lot about dealing with Malay counterparts (you don't need to be briefed about what I mean when I say this), as well as brushed up on my Malay language.

I have learnt a lot about how the waiters in restaurants feel, and I understand now their plight. I learnt about the importance of manners and the pain of standing for hours at a time. I have learnt the meaning of "privileged" as I do not need to work as those poor Indonesian labourers who earn only a few hundred a month but work for long hours.

More importantly, I have learnt the importance of education; I do not want to end up working the rest of my days in a restaurant serving people. I do not consider being a waiter a lifelong career. I do not want to be like the people in my restaurant who have no direction in life and are content with the RM900 pay they are getting, definitely; to achieve that, I must study hard in university and earn a good degree.

I think the job was tough, but I cannot deny that I did enjoy part of it. It was a good experience.

I hope to find another job soon. Tomorrow is my off day; I will be job hunting :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home